Wednesday, October 8, 2008

For Divesh Thimmaiya, till we meet again..

I never thought I would start a blog, though writing is something I have even considered to take up as a profession. But there is nowhere else I can tell people about the friend I lost this saturday. The friend I had not even seen in 4 yrs but it feels like just yesterday he was grinning at me from the side of the street and saying "I like it... (pause) I like it". Someone who could make even the grouchiest person (that would be me) smile at any time of the day or night. I want to know what he had been planning , because he always had plans, on friday , or last week or last month. Not just plans that people make and never carry out, he made plans that he would make work. I want to know what were the things that had made him smile recently, because , as I told him frequently, his was one winning smile. And those eyes, I will never forget them. They were one of the brightest I have ever seen. Moreover, I want to know what he wants me to do now. I don't want to forget anything he ever said to me. And that is not a problem, I have an excellent memory ( which is why I am grouchy) but at least this time, it will serve a good purpose. I remember he said that honesty is overrated, noone can be honest all the time, lies save people, there are things you should be able to lie about , it is integrity that is important. He must have been 23 when he said that and I have never had anyone say something that profound. He had a big heart that could hold hundreds of people in it and still remember all their names and interests. When he walked into a room, people turned to look. He worked hard and partied harder. He was opinionated and didn't pull the punches, if thats what he thought was needed.
The last time I talked to him I was complaining about how I had no results and he had said that " Bada kaam kar raha hain bachcha, time to lagega" . I don't think I am doing anything big, but that sure made me feel a hundred times better and all important all of a sudden.
I wish I had called him, but my preoccupations seemed so important at the time and the fact that I knew he had many many friends and wasn't exactly waiting by the phone for my call, had me delay that indefinitely. What I hadn't realized was, that I needed to talk to him, I needed him to bring back clarity of thought using his unmatched sense of humor. I needed him. I still do. And he is gone. The one guy I knew who could actually bring change ( ask anyone at IISc, who was there before he came and since..) is gone. I was one of the privileged people who knew him. And God knows that if he hadn't been such an incorrigible flirt I wouldn't have known him at all. Thank God he drove his bike at my pace beside me around the M - Block hostel till I got on it finally. His "Oye Soniye!!!" which he used on as many females as he knew, I think, could still flatter all of them . I apparently blushed. Thats something, I never blush and to this day I would contest his observation. Maybe not.

I never knew anyone from his family, but I want them to know that not only did their son live life to the fullest making each day count, he left a mark on everyone whose life he touched. I didn't even know him for more than 6 - 8 months before I left IISc, and then India. But distances didn't matter with him. I always imagined him busy doing something interesting or annoying. And in my dreams he will continue to do that always. And till we meet again, I will live like he would have, or at least try to. But Divesh, you nut, wait till I get my hands on you ... Just you wait.

Ishita

4 comments:

Payel said...

Though I have never met this guy in person, you just conjured up a picture of the most-lively-person-on-earth through your words. People like Divesh add color to the journey of life and make it beautiful. He will be missed by you and others whose lives he touched.... And many others like me would miss the chance to ever meet him.
R.I.P.Divesh Thimmaiya.

Rakhi said...

I've only seen the guy at the tea-board but he did seem like one with an infectious joie de vivre. May he rest in peace. And experience tells me that those who have been hit the hardest and have sprung back into life, have these pearls of wisdom to make it easier for the rest of us.... Did that make sense?
The piece was beautiful by the way.
Hugs, woman....

Napolean said...

Ishita, this was one of the best pieces bout Divesh i have read...i knew Divesh from the day he joined IISc and he was everything that you have written and much more...thanx for painting sucha gr8 picture of his for everyone to know him...

-Nishant

E se ay-seeta said...

Hi Ishita..
I knew about Divesh from since I was in school at APS Dhaula Kuan. He was the art teacher's pet and though I was several years junior, he was quite a well known senior. Then I joined IISc for my Masters and he immediately acquainted himself with the school junior and then an Intie junior.
Your blog just perfectly describes all that a lot of us felt that October.. I think his orkut profile page is still vivid in my memory.. Divesh going Goa..sunshine and sand!!
To Divesh, who lived a long life in a very short time!! You will always be remembered :)

Eshita